8 Beautiful Spots to go Sailing in Europe

For many people, travelling is the ultimate escape — a giant lunge from their merry-go life, into the wild realms of the unexpected. And nothing says freedom, like a bright white sailing yacht cruising atop a crisp blue ocean.

For the sailing fraternity, Europe offers some of the world’s premier marinas, which attract the crème de la crème of the sport.

The upside of that for you and other travellers, is that it results in some fantastic opportunities to try your hand at sailing, in some spellbinding settings.

Whether you’re aiming for your Skipper licence, or simply want to catch some rays on the open ocean, we’re about to give you a run down of some of Europe’s most fantastic waters.

Europe’s Best Sailing Destinations

Are you ready to set sail for Europe’s most beautiful spots to go sailing? All aboard, folks… this could have a refreshing affect on your summer!

1. French Riviera

Arguably Europe’s most famous sailing destination, the French Riviera stretches along the Cote d’Azur, speckled by an all-star cast of sailing hubs, such as Cannes, Antibes, Saint Tropez and Monaco. This is the place to be seen, but remains surprisingly accessible to the hoi polloi of backpacker society.

2. Turkey

Not only does Turkey offer some of the best backpacking trails on the planet, offshore, it delivers some incredible sailing on the Aegean Sea. Dip into Izmir, Alcati, or Kusadasi on your way along the coast, or cruise right up to the fabulous capital, Istanbul via the narrow Bosphorous.

3. Montenegro

Tiny Montenegro, sandwiched between Albania, Croatia and Bosnia, acts like a nautical beacon to sailing fans from around the world. The country boasts some 295km of dramatic coastline — including the Gulf of Kotor, the longest fjord in southern Europe — blessed with favourable winds, and friendly ports. Look out the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Kotor’s Old Town.

4. Greece

Greece is a Mecca for sailing fans, with an incredible array of islands, and the lingering coastline of the mainland. Explore Mykonos, Santorini and Crete among others, while you combine the dazzle of the Mediterranean sunshine, with the feasts of delicious Greek cuisine. As a sailing destination, very few come close to Greece’s sublime selection.

5. Slovenia

Rolling off the southern Alps, and with easy access to the Adriatic Sea, Slovenia is high on the hit list of yachts throughout the summer months. Visit the Slovenian Bay of Piran, or the towns of Portorož, Izola or Koper, to explore the beautiful ports and marinas.

6. Croatia

With over 1000 islands floating among the crystal clear seas of the Adriatic, Croatia has long been a favourite for those looking to set sail in Europe’s most famous, and welcoming, waters. Spend your summer jumping from the deck of the boat, or exploring the myriad jewels of the Dalmatian coastline, such as Split, Dubrovnik, or Makarska. This is the perfect destination to party like a pirate!

7. Portugal

Sail along the Tejo estuary, and into the bay of Lisbon, or along the coast to Cascais via the Berlengas Islands nature reserve, for an experience of untold magic. Look out for wild dolphins along the way! Elsewhere in Portugal, hoik the sails in the Algarve, or the subtropical islands of Madeira.

8. Ireland

The traditional port of Galway is a great place to enjoy a spot of sailing this summer; with its rich history and hearty character, visitors can expect a warm welcome on land and sea. Galway Bay is busy with surfers, sailors, and swimmers, and from 3rd – 8th July, the city will host the finale to the prestigious Volvo Ocean Race.

Ahoy there! We’ve got some fantastic deals on sailing holidays in Europe, including 2 for 1 on Croatia Island hopping! Does sailing appeal to you?

1. Great list Ant! Love sailing a lot. Will definitely visit French Riviera soon :)

2. Really all of these are amazing spots. I’m damn sure that everyone will be wishing to visit one of these beautiful islands. Thanks for sharing this.

3. That fringed skirt is mad crazy style! Really like the 70s maxi, too and the tips but… did I mention how wild I am about that skirt? Of course you make it look faainohsble at any price.

4. I think other web-site proprietors should take this site as an model, very clean and excellent user friendly style and design, let alone the content. You are an expert in this topic!

5. , I also direct worship for my church and one of the things I have always found hugely convicting is holistic worship. Worship is NOT JUST song and dance. Unfortunately worship pastors in this generation have all but reduced it to that. Worship is really about becoming obedient with our bodies, minds and hearts in response to a Triune God (Romans 12). Your testimony strengthens me because you are doing exactly what a worship leader should be doing: showing people how to worship Jesus Christ with everything you are, for all He is, and for what He did for us on the cross…KPVA:F [1.9.20_1166](from 21 votes)

6. I did not actually try Inftyreader, Inftyeditor was relatively fine from my point of view (especially compared to support of handwriting recognition in Maple). Early version did grow my stress level, though Cheers,Dmitry.

7. Language genie to the rescue:Obviously, your boss is using deadline as a verb: “Deadline those extension banners, Kris, for the sake of all that is holy!”And your colleague is trying to circumvent any possibility of being treated in a sexist way by using the language of frat boys. “The brochure, bro, is preliminary, dude.”See? You should have checked with me first.

8. (put a limit there earlier, when it broke pass 539 ~ 541 I was gong to cancel but one step late).The previously a few times, I sold to catch a pullback – all ended up buying back with higher prices (my terrible judgement on price actions .. sign) – here I moved the market again! my contribution to BC ,,

9. This is an article that makes you think “never thought of that!”

10. Way to go on this essay, helped a ton.

11. Posted by on April 21, 2012 at 2:28 pm Hi Ken,We, as humans love to tell our story, and therefore we love it when people are listening to us. No doubt that old sales man knew about this and listening to the life story of this potential customer was a good move.The good thing about stories is that we like both telling them and listening to them or read about them as well.Thanks for this post and have a great week end!Sylviane Nuccio recently posted..

12. dit :Wonderful blog! I found it although browsing in Yahoo News. Do you’ve got any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo Media? I’ve already been trying for a time but My spouse and i never appear to get there! Thank you

13. I"m very glad to have come across this picture of your counters. I'm considering Corian Rain Cloud for a bathroom vanity and this is so helpful to see. Your kitchen is really gorgeous.

14. Hola Leire:Ante todo, gracias por visitar nuestro blog.Aquí te dejo la respuesta de nuestros profesionales:“El Regimen de Trabajadores Autónomos siempre se cotiza a jornada completa por la base de cotización elegida por el trabajador autonomo al darse de alta en S.Social.”Si tienes alguna duda más, pásate por nuestras oficinas, te atenderemos encantados/as.Saludos,

15. Hahahaha. I’m not too bright today. Great post!

16. That’s a subtle way of thinking about it.

17. it like you can!Sorry about the ‘nother broken bone. At our house it is head injuries, 2 big ones each for each of the big kids–lotsa blood and grossness. So we’ve reached our limit and I have declared our family a head injury free zone. Go ahead and stake your claim for no more broken bones… I am sure you’ll get your wish.Lots of love to Lillian! Speedy healing!

18. On June 22 2011 I am booked in for a tummy tuck.After spending all of my childhood and teenage life overweight, Im finally 3kgs off my goal weight.With the countdown on the way, I am terrified but so excited about my surgery.Videos like this help me prepare for what is to come!Still scary, but hopefully rewarding.

19. I’m impressed. You’ve really raised the bar with that.

20. I really enjoy the questions you pose. May I add several others to stoke the embers of a writer’s passion:What morning dew caught the sparkle of the rising sun and the bright potential of a new day?How did your pet rekindle the wonder of the present moment?Whose smile gave you hope for wondrous paths?Enjoying your posts..-= Paul C´s last blog .. =-.

21. Hi! I've been following your website for a while now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Austin Tx! Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic work!Here is my blog -

22. Okay I’m convinced. Let’s put it to action.

23. You’re on top of the game. Thanks for sharing.

24. I live in Vegas, they tried to develope downtown years ago, and that didn’t work either.The parking downtown sucks and the surroundung area ia dangerous.

25. Free knowledge like this doesn’t just help, it promote democracy. Thank you.

26. Four score and seven minutes ago, I read a sweet article. Lol thanks

27. Finding this post has solved my problem

28. While it’s true, burning more calories from fat than consume will assist you to shed weight, there is however a lot more for it compared to that, to get maximum outcomes.

29. I actually found this more entertaining than James Joyce.

30. Hola Ani(te llamas como mi hermana)a mi tambien me gsuta mucho hacer pan, y tambien tengo este libro aunque esta receta aun no la he hecho, te han quedado geniales, seguro que son muy ricos.besoss guapaaaaaa

31. It’s a relief to find someone who can explain things so well

32. Sei pazzo! Così ti bruci.Queste informazioni dicono davvero troppo. Si entra nella tua privacy con violenza.Ora so che tu hai visto i Kraftwerk e gli Alan Parsons in concerto e hai tutta la mia invidia, ma allo stesso tempo ora sono costretto a sapere che hai visto gli 883 :) E poi ora so che hai avuto una Ford Taunus e mi chiedo come tu faccia a salire su qualsiasi altra auto che non sia quella, visto quanto era stupenda.

33. This insight’s just the way to kick life into this debate.

34. Ein Motto für eine Konditorei fällt mir nicht spontan ein. Wer seinen Leitspruch so nennt, der hat sicher eine Zielgruppe im Auge. Oma Pumpelmuse mit ihrem Kaffeekränzchen kann ich mir gerade nicht gut vorstellen.Frische Produkte sind für mich selbstverständlich in einer guten Bäckerei.München ist jedenfalls auf meinem Wunschzettel für das Jahr 2013. Da werde ich mal vorbei schauen, wer da so sein Törtchen futtert.Gruß Amos

35. Incredibile, sono esterrefatto…. Paolo sono un tuo grande sostenitore e difendo sempre a spada tratta la scienza (quella vera), ma dopo una conferenza del genere mi spiace tantissimo affermare che è una partita persa in partenza contro certe persone :(

36. Heck of a job there, it absolutely helps me out.

37. I found myself nodding my noggin all the way through.

38. Das Paket ist gestern angekommen. Freue mich riesig. Auf dem ersten Blick tolles Design der Dosen, doch der Geschmack wird erst am Wochenende getest.

39. My Mom is getting me a subscription to Country Living because I always want her copy. I feel the same way in regarding to feeling like I know these people even though I don’t. I love Ann Wood’s birds.

40. You get a lot of respect from me for writing these helpful articles.

41. Love, love , love seeing your beautiful cookies. Had operator head spacing issues when responding to question of who would I surprise.. I hit the wrong button and terminated my response =( Should read I give mints to all the customer service people, door holders, bell ringers, etc that help me. I tell them that i appreciate their help and I “mint” it. A little sugar, mint, and appreciation can help brighten someones day. They may not know my name, but the remeber the “mint Lady” when I come into their store.

42. Oh yeah, fabulous stuff there you!

43. IN-CRE-DI-BIL!!! Nu-mi vine sa cred! Din toate cartile pamantului, daca as fi ales eu una care sa ma defineasca, nu cred ca as fi nimerit mai bine decat acest test. SUNT COMPLET SOCATA!!! Este JOCUL LUI ENDER! Cartea mea preferata….Am voie sa mai spun o data ca sunt uimita?????

44. A ver, yo igual no valgo de ejemplo porque tengo un smartphone (iphone) con interner movil. Por lo que no uso el navegador 3g del Kindle. Tampoco domino la lengua de Shakespeare por lo que tampoco entro a comprar ebooks en la tienda de amazon desde el Kindle.Solo lo he usado cuando he ido a portugal para evitarme el roaming y actualizar twitter y leer el correo.Tiene un navegador muy normalito. Vamos que uso el Kindle un 99% para leer y 1% para otras cosas.Saludos

45. Pizza soooo crazy bad lately, and after my horrid GF pizza fiasco which you can read about here everydaypaleo   I needed to find another option. Sooo, I went on a man hunt to find one that looked good. I

46. My problem was a wall until I read this, then I smashed it.

47. I was reading, of all things, a Doctor Who novel mentioning Curzon. Years ago I would’ve thought it a reference to Curzon Dax from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, the best of the franchise. Now I know better thanks to this site. :)

48. Could you write about Physics so I can pass Science class?

49. SS- Good comments all around. You say that we can blame the toolmakers, but I would go a bit farther and blame the “developers of the neighborhood”, the business (and clinical) people far removed from the actual tools who demand greater functionality but withhold the resources needed to assure that the effort has the right tools, people, and materials to assure high quality.Nice job bringing this discussion forward.

50. Oh no! That bites, migraines are just the worst.Four times a year is not that rarely! Maybe you should see the doctor?Hope you feel better soon, or can be knocked out with some uber-powerful narcotics, or… something!

51. BTW just because Herr Adolf Hitler didn’t like some Jews doesn’t make it right for him to commit genocide, which is exactly what you are doing right now. Have a nice day!

52. How could any of this be better stated? It couldn’t.

53. You really saved my skin with this information. Thanks!

54. Pardon, mon clavier a fourché. Je voulais dire qu’une personne pauvre et une personne riche, intelligentes, s’entendaient toujours pour le bien de tous. Impossible avec un individu stupide.

55. Katniss’ style of eating is bound to be trendy after this year’s Games, serve them some Fire Roasted Rabbit with Ember-Baked Parsnips. I don’t have a recipe for the parsnips, but it’s not rocket

56. je suis le tuto, mais rien ni faitla tablette est allumé, je branche usb au pcje double clic sur adb.exe et ensuite install_recovery.batet la tablette ne redémmarre pas après ceci

57. THX that’s a great answer!

58. Ciao Licia.O una domanda.Io o sentito dei fummetti delle Cronache del Mondo Emerso.Mi piaceva a averle, ma non so dove comprarle.(Io vivo in Belgio e sono mezza italiana. Scussa per i errori nella mia gramattica.)Mi piaciono le tuo storie e le leggo con amore.Grazie per dare questa posibilita.Spero che tu, o qualque altro membrio potrebbe rispondere mia domanda.Aires x

59. Economies are in dire straits, but I can count on this!

60. What a joy to find someone else who thinks this way.

61. This is a neat summary. Thanks for sharing!

62. What a pleasure to meet someone who thinks so clearly

63. “reincarnation” . Whoever knew the knowledge of this. Is trying to created a society that all humankind will be continue to become a slave for them. All those country, religion, politics and business and so on. Are all control by a group of people they knew about the secret of the universe. They created War, they destroyed country, culture and [...]

64. Me ha gustado. Me recuerda a mis viejos tiempos, cuando mi Palacio feliz, era mi T.S.H.. Cuanto bondad emanaba por sus antenas el dulce sonido de mi manipulador.Dios os guarde colegasslsangel a. martinez, desde Bilbao.

65. I think the Richard Stark book is PLUNDER SQUAD, and the Joe Gores book is DEAD SKIP.But there's also a chapter in Westlake's DROWNED HOPES that is shared in another Gores book, but I don't know which one.

66. In einem Forum über den Teeweg habe ich den fast verzweifelten Artikel einer jungen (?) Dame gefunden:Somewhere in all of these web-sites is a list of rules of behaviorfor lessons, and one of the tenants is, DON’T ASK QUESTIONS. You doas you are told, and Sensei will lead you. If you ask a question andSensei doesn’t happen to know the answer, you will cause her to lostface, and for Japanese, this is serious. I was told to be patient andlearn as Sensei presented information.

67. That’s not just the best answer. It’s the bestest answer!

68. 铭盛卡行(QQ1228557129)所出售卡均为一级卡源,全新无任何交易记录,资料齐全,真实身份办理,亦可指定名字办理,诚信淘宝担保交易! 例如—可以给你淘宝店刷提高您的淘宝信用记录。 例如—你想接受汇款,但又不想让对方知道自己的真实姓名。 例如—您想给领导送礼办点事情,但是又不想让自己的隐私暴露!这时您就需要到我们提供办理的卡,我们的卡可以让您随意的a转帐–送礼。给客户保密了隐私的同时也去除了客户的后顾之忧。本团队以真实代开卡【QQ:1228557129】办理、分别提供7大银行卡;中国银行—工商银行—建设银行—农业银行—交通银行—招商银行—邮政银行[网上银行(口令卡,电子证书,U盾)长期供应,保证全新开户,保证开户资料齐全,保证带真实有效开户原件,承接指定名字开户我们的宗旨是:质量+速度+信誉!我们希望与 有长期需要的客户建立长期合作关系,彼此信任,共同赢利。如有需要请联系!非诚勿扰! 客户的满意是我们的心愿欢迎光顾公司宗旨: 公司执行国家金融方针和政策,在法律、法规规定的范围内开展业务, 自主经营、自负盈亏、自我约束、自担风险、切实为小企业、农民、农业及农村经济的发展服务。公司文化: 诚信—用心做事,诚信为人 规范—规范管理,依法治企 高效—真诚服务,高效便捷 和谐—同舟共济,创建和谐公司口号: 以实力、效率立足于市场 用服务、便捷来赢得口碑 崇尚职业道德,遵守法律法规  急您所急、思您所思温馨提示:在本卡行购买的卡可用于收藏使用!

69. Pleasing to find someone who can think like that

70. “Bought for my Grandson’s birthday. Very happy with the suit but a bit disapointed in the mask. I thought it would be a helmut. Should have researched more.” Did you find this review helpful?   VA:F [1.9.21_1169]please wait…VA:F [1.9.21_1169](from 0 votes)

71. I can't believe you have a bad snow storm already!!!But then again that is how we met. ;) Thank you so much for your thoughts…. Sam's alright and I just put up a post about it.Hoping Thanksgiving comes reallyyyyy soon for you!!!

72. Your post is a timely contribution to the debate

73. If so, what programming language do you use? Why do you use that programming language? What 2D/3D modelling/animation programs do you use to program your games? What license(s) are they released under? What kind of games do you make? Are you an independent programmer or do you work on a team? Are any of your games commercially available? What are they called? Have you ever written your own game engne? What is the name of it?