6 Reasons Why Malaysia is the Ultimate Travel Destination

Malaysia is the ultimate travel destination. That’s a pretty big statement I know, but I think I’ve got the goods to back it up. Let me explain…

Travel means very different things to different people. For some it’s all about soaking up the sun on a beautiful beach for days on end, for others it’s about integrating in to a new culture and really getting under the skin of a country, some like to test themselves and do things that will take them out of their comfort zone and for others it’s all about indulging, whether that means food, shopping or a bit of pampering. And the list goes on.

The great thing about Malaysia, is that whatever travel means to you, you can find an experience here that will fulfil all your wildest, travel related, dreams. Add to that the great weather, and the fact that it’s super cheap and you’ll see that Malaysia has, quite literally, got it all.

I think Malaysia is one destination that has it all.

6 Things That Prove Malaysia Has Got it All

I’m going to break it down a bit further. Below are 6 reasons why I believe Malaysia is the ultimate travel destination. Take a look, consider them and let me know in the comments box below what you think.

Beautiful Beaches

The beaches of Redang are renound for being some of the most exquisite you will find anywhere in the world.

We can all appreciate a beautiful beach, even if you’re not the kind of person who’s idea of happiness is being sat under a palm tree with a good book for days on end (are you crazy!). I’m talking about the kind of beaches that you really hope exist, although you’re not really sure anywhere could actually be that beautiful. Well let me tell you, it’s possible and you can see them in Malaysia.

Number 1 on the list has got to be the beaches of Redang, a small island paradise just off Malaysia’s East Coast. With very few inhabitants it’s quiet and the perfect secluded relaxation spot. In the north of the island turtles lay their eggs on the beach, so if you go snorkelling, you may be able to spot sea turtles swimming beside you.

A little less effort to get to, but equally stunning, are the beaches of Langkawi and the Perhentian Islands. They’re more ‘touristy’ than Redang, but that really just means more opportunities for cold beers in chilled beach bars.

Fascinating History and Culture

George Town, Penang is rich in the very best examples of Malaysian culture.

A multicultural melting pot of Asian culture, with strong influences from China, India and the rest of Southeast Asia, everywhere you look there are fusions of influence.

That fusion is most apparent in Penang. Wander the streets of the capital George Town, a UNESCO World Heritage site that is packed with historical and cultural gems including beautiful colonial architecture, classic churches, Buddhist and Hindu temples and grand mosques.

If you’re not too scared, visit Snake Temple where live snakes actually live inside! *shudder*

The Vibrant Metropolis

The Petronas Towers are among the most recognised landmarks in the world and offer incredible views of the city.

Kuala Lumpur is one of the world’s great cities and has everything you’d expect, and hope, to see and experience in a legendary capital, all with a unique Malaysian twist.

Sample tasty street food, get lost in busy shopping centres, haggle at market bazaars, climb the famous Petronas Towers for great views, and ride the KL Monorail for easy access to each part of the city.

Kuala Lumpur is also a great start point for day trips to the ancient Batu Caves and city-state Melaka.

Amazing Wildlife and Nature

Mingle with orang-utans in the jungles of Borneo.

Think of Malaysian wildlife and what’s the first things that come to mind? Yep, orang-utans! It’s the best place to see these incredible animals in the wild.

Head over to Borneo to see these charismatic creatures hanging out in the jungles of Sepilok and take a trek up Mt Kinabalu for amazing views of rice paddies, jungles and remote villages.

Trip such as Borneo Sarawak Discovery will make sure you don’t miss out on any of the best bits of this incredible part of the county.

If you like you wildlife a little less hairy, the famous Tropical Butterfly Farm in Teluk Bahang, Penang is also well worth a visit.

Delicious Cuisine

Laksa with sea food - yum!

If you’re anything like me, food will take up a large portion of your thoughts each day, and one of the best things about travelling, in my opinion at least, is the opportunity to indulge in the very best local cuisine; and Malaysia is one of the best places in the world to find a huge selection of delicious dishes to sample.

Whether you’re stopping on a street corner, splashing out in one of the capital’s best restaurants or hovering somewhere in between, prepare for a culinary wake up call thanks to some amazing flavours.

Head to Kuala Lumpur to try the cheap, and completely scrumptious street food, such as Chicken Satay, Roti Chanai, Nasi Lemak (a rice dish with coconut) and Beef Rendang (a curry type dish with coconut and lemongrass).

If you’re in Penang, widely accepted to be Malaysia’s food capital, try the Laksa Penang (a spicy and sour noodle soup) or the Nasi Kandar (a Malaysian curry dish with rice).

It’s packed full of adventure!

If you want your travels to take you out of your comfort zone and challenge you a bit, then you won’t be disappointed with what Malaysia has to offer in terms of adventure.

Snorkel and scuba dive around the Perhenthian and Tioman Islands, go caving at Turtle Cave in Gunung Mulu National Park, trek through the tea plantations of the Cameron Highlands, bungee jump at Sunway Extreme Park and go white water rafting at Kuala Kubu Bharu. Phew!

Have you been inspired to add Malaysia to your travel ‘to do’ list? If the answer is a big fat ‘yes’ then check out our cheap flights and huge selection of adventure tours that will take you right through the heart of this spectacular county.

1. Olive Robinson

Hi! This was really enjoyable to read as my parents have just/in the process of emigrating to Malaysia (KL). Having read this there seem to be some wonderful places to visit. What would suggest are the cheapest ways of travel to some like Redang? Internal Flights?

2. Julius Yee

Hi Olive, nice to hear that you’re emigrating to Kuala Lumpur. The cheapest way to travel to Redang (from KL) would definitely be by bus. It’s about a 6-hour journey from KL to Kuala Terengganu, and then you would have to make your way to the jetty to catch a ferry to the island. This should cost you less than RM100 (£20).

The most convenient way to travel would be by flight (1 hour journey). You could travel either through AirAsia or Firefly, and a flight ticket to Kuala Terengganu should cost about RM300 (£60).

*Redang is amazing but my personal favourite is Perhentian. But since you’re emigrating to KL you definitely have the time to try both!

3. Kumaresh Abhayadatta

As for point 1, can I just say, as a diver and as someone who has visited beaches around the country, our beaches are deteriorating by the day.
    And as for that point on culture and history, we don’t hold half a candle against other asian countries like Cambodia, China, India, Japan and so on. That’s ignoring the Middle East, the European countries AND Africa proper. (Bearing in mind that Africa is the birthplace of our species)
    Whilst I will say that Malaysia is a beautiful country (and that no one can ever argue that we do not have good food). I would not go so far as to call it the ultimate travel destination.

• Pete Coultas

Am encouraged that as a malaysian Kumaresh is so honest…I would only add that the glories of Malaysias Borneo provinces have almost gone under wrecking palm oil plantations

• Anonymous

Party pooper!

4. Jill Parsons

I visited Malaysia 2 years ago and loved it. The easy cultural mix was joyous to see, the people so kind and friendly and as a woman travelling alone for 6 weeks to feel as safe as I did was amazing. There were so many highlights I could not begin to choose the best – although as an almost non swimmer, the snorkelling in Tioman was certainly in my top 5 !

5. Doug48507

Now you’ve told everybody!! It was a hard kept secret. You forgot about, Malacca.

Kumaresh my be right about the big things to see, but Malaysia has an atmosphere, a relaxed atmosphere and plenty of little things to see, all of which adds up to a great time.

Please don’t go, keep the beaches clear for me.

6. Syazeleen

great article, and as a malaysian, i’m happy. economic reasons and all that.
    the only thing i’m disappointed with is that there’s no mention of melaka!
    although on second thought… the number of tourists melaka gets on the weekends causes traffic jams~

7. For diving, head to Sipadan Island in Borneo! One of the best diving spots in the world. You who’ve been there, don’t you agree?

8. I am one hell of a temple lover. When I travel abroad I make sure to visit every temple. You can picture out how many days I stayed in Siem Reap. hahaha. But thanks for this article, it surely will help me more and explore Malaysia more.

9. i really like this post. You have discussed really good things about malaysia. there are many good tourist places in malaysia, very tasty cusines which people can’t resist and many more which can’t stop people from viewing malaysia

10. Kasey

Malaysia is a very beautiful country indeed, and I need to send out a special mention to Langkawi. It’s the perfect destination for vacations or honeymoons. The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa is one of the best hotels in Langkawi.

11. nik anderson

Spot on about Malaysia. I recently did a first time tour with http://www.baktrax.com which included penang and Malaysia not only has the best food on earth but is now my favorite overall destination also. But you forgot the main reason and that is the friendliest faces on earth. Will be back very soon.

12. Howdy! This post couldn?t be written any better! Looking at this
    article reminds me of my previous roommate!

He constantly kept preaching about this. I’ll send this post to him.
    Fairly certain he’s going to have a good read.
    Thank you for sharing!

13. Not just be a shirt, it is Your stylist. It is Your love with Your Pets.Buy this T-shirt to wear and show yourself now!
    Click:

Thanks

14. I like looking through a post that can make people think.
    Also, thank you for allowing me to comment!

15. Here is a great Weblog You may Locate Intriguing that we encourage you to visit.

16. This website was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have
    found something which helped me. Many thanks!

17. At this time I am going away to do my breakfast, later than having my breakfast coming again to read further news.

18. The time to read or pay a visit to the content material or web-sites we’ve linked to beneath.

19. app

I seriously love your website.. Pleasant colors & theme.
    Did you build this web site yourself? Please reply back as I’m looking to create
    my own site and want to learn where you got this from
    or what the theme is named. Cheers!

20. Here is a great Weblog You may Come across Interesting that we encourage you to visit.

21. Here are some hyperlinks to sites that we link to simply because we assume they’re really worth visiting.

22. always a significant fan of linking to bloggers that I adore but do not get a whole lot of link like from

23. that would be the end of this article. Right here you will locate some sites that we feel you will value, just click the links over

24. we prefer to honor many other world wide web web sites around the internet, even if they aren

25. check beneath, are some completely unrelated web sites to ours, having said that, they’re most trustworthy sources that we use

26. Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a number of unrelated information, nevertheless truly worth taking a look, whoa did one particular learn about Mid East has got additional problerms too

27. The information mentioned in the post are a few of the most effective offered

28. always a major fan of linking to bloggers that I enjoy but don

29. usually posts some extremely interesting stuff like this. If you

30. the time to study or visit the subject material or websites we have linked to beneath the