5 Important Australia Working Holiday Questions Answered, by Someone Living the Aussie Dream

Embarking on a working holiday in Australia is scary, we understand that, but it’s also tremendously exciting. You can book your flight, and head off into the unknown, or you could give yourself a little bit of a headstart by checking out BUNAC’s group flight option and their Work N Holiday package.

Sarah Hall has done just that and, as someone currently living the dream in Australia, who better to share the answers to five very important working holiday questions…

Exciting, overwhelming and a tiny bit terrifying, these are all words I would use to describe my arrival in Sydney, Australia eight months ago. Stepping out of the airport into the glorious Sydney sunshine and knowing that I had a whole year to explore Australia was insane.

Luckily, I had chosen BUNAC’s group flight option which meant that I had just spent three amazing days sightseeing, drinking and acquainting myself with thirty other ‘BUNACers’ in the buzzing Asian metropolis that is Hong Kong, meaning I was already in great company.

After a week of partying non-stop Sydney style, I knew that I would have to start making some decisions. Prior to booking on to Work Australia I had worried about the important stuff; how exactly was I going to support myself in the land down under? If you’d asked me in my first week in Sydney where I would be in eight months time, I would have been clueless. Taking a ‘let the chips fall where they may’ kind of attitude to travelling has always been my style, but with a little help from friends, family and BUNAC I have been able to successfully live, work and play here in Oz, so in hindsight, I didn’t need to worry at all.

These were my top five worries on arrival and how I overcame them.

Will I make any friends?

There’s one thing Australia isn’t short on, and that is backpackers. No matter which hostel or city you choose to stay in you will meet amazing people from every corner of the globe; as well as this, I had my lovely new BUNAC friends.

Eight months later I am still in touch with everyone, have lived with two of them and meet up with the others whenever our paths cross! A group of us also took on Surf Camp in the second week, learning to surf on a beautiful secluded beach with beautiful Aussie instructors (wahey!) and a whole new group of backpackers to get to know. It was an amazing week, filled with epic nose dives, BBQs and crazy waves, I even took on the waves at Bondi beach with my knew found surf skills, and made lifelong friends whilst working, but we shall come to that later…

Where am I going to live?

Initially hostel living seemed perfect, it meant I could meet like-minded people and hear their travel tips and stories whilst partying non-stop in central Sydney. However, after finding a nine to five job the prospect of being kept up all night by drunken antics meant that hostels started to lose their appeal.

Myself and a fellow ‘BUNACer’ decided to take the plunge and rent a room in an apartment. With the help of gumtree this actually turned out to be pretty easy and after looking at a few questionable apartments, we found a lovely one with sea views, a French couple and a Brazilian guy. Upon leaving Sydney I have spent the last three months staying with a selection of long lost relatives, friends from home who are also out here, other BUNACers and people I have met through work; never be shy of asking people if they have a sofa going spare!

What role will BUNAC play in my working holiday?

Their group flight option is amazing, not only did it provide me with a large group of wonderful friends but it also gave me, and most importantly my mother, peace of mind. The Work N holiday offices which are located in Sydney, Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne are an invaluable resource. So far I have used both the Sydney and Melbourne offices to receive post, use the computers, and to ask advice regarding jobs and farm work. The arrival orientation at the Sydney office was also amazing as it helped to relieve the panic of arriving in such a large country by highlighting the infinite things to do and see in Aus. As well as this, they sorted out all the important stuff such as banking and tax codes. Work N Holiday offer support and advice which is great, but the group flight provides friendship which is the most important component of any adventure!

Which Oz city is the place to be?

It took me a week of being in Sydney to know that this was where I wanted to live and work first, and if you’re going to live in Sydney, then it’s almost a crime not to live as close to one of the most famous beaches in the world as possible.

So began five months of sun, sea, surf, goon, friends and laughs on Bondi beach. Following Sydney, I decided to check out Melbourne, with its laid back coffee fuelled lifestyle I knew I had fallen in love again, and hostel living, although crazy and crowded is so much fun. I have definitely learned that Australia offers some incredible places to live, but I do maintain that it’s the people that make the place! And as for the other Australian cities, I still have plenty of time to go and check them out…

How do I find a job?

Miraculously a job found me, in my first week in Sydney I was walking the streets one morning when a charity fundraiser stopped me and offered me a job, it seemed a bit crazy but I thought, why not! It in fact turned out to be the perfect job for me, it was full time face-to-face fundraising on the streets of Sydney and every few weeks we were given a car and set loose on the small towns of New South Wales. Not only was fundraising an experience like no other, it also allowed me to meet some of the greatest friends I could ask for, not only work colleagues, but the Australians I met and spoke to on the street! As well as this, I’ve also completed half of the required farm work for my second year visa. I never pictured myself harvesting potatoes, but it has been quite the experience so far!

If you’d like some more information on BUNAC’s group flights or Work N Holiday programme check out their website or join in with our Facebook Q&A session this Wed 26th June at 2pm and have all your working holiday questions answered live, and by an expert.

1. Rosie Amadi

Do the company help us to find jobs whilst we are out there?
    Roughly how much money should I take with me – least ’til I get a job?
    Will we require a CRB?

2. diazepam online canada how to get diazepam 5 valium Buy Valium Online Without Prescription. valiums effects how to get prescribed valium alcohol and diazepam how to take diazepam . cost of diazepam ordering valium online . 10mg diazepam uses of diazepam is valium a pain killer valium maker pill valium diazepam names

3. Saludos Tengo 38 años y estoy trabajando el inglés desde hace 8 años.
    El texto me ha parecido fascinante para el estudio inglés.
    Me ha sido muy fructífero. Lo voy a incorporar a mis favoritos.
    Le agradezco por el relato.

4. oxycodone dosage oxy 30 mg pill pain medicine for sale oxycodone canada pharmacy. oxycodone sales maximum daily dose of oxycodone 30mg roxy capsules 30 mg oxycodone from mexico . 30mg oxycodone price purchase painkillers online . oxycodone abuse oxycodone 30mg for sale online oxycodone dosage for pain get oxycodone oxycodone 15 mg immediate release where to buy oxycodone online

5. high dose clonazepam 4 mg clonazepam . effects of clonazepam and alcohol kriadex clonazepam 2mg clonazepam to get high buy clonazepam 2mg clonazepam generic names colazepam . clonotril 0.25 mg side effects clonazepam 2.5 mg novo clonazepam effects of clonazepam. clonotril 2 maximum daily dose of clonazepam buy clonazepam without prescription clonazepam and anxiety .

6. clonazepam to sleep clonazepam orally . xanax online clonazepam 0.5mg tab clonezapam clonazepam 1.0 clonapam brand name of clonazepam . clonazepam 1.0 mg clorazepam clonazepam rivotril 2mg clonazepam 1mg street value. clonazepam dosage for insomnia clonazepam tabs clonazepam .25 buy clonazepam online usa .

7. buy oxycodone cod drug endone the effects of oxycodone 40 mg oxycodone. withdrawal of oxycodone buy pain medicine endone withdrawal symptoms cheapest oxycodone online . vicodin online roxy 30 mg blue pill . can i buy vicodin online oxycodone 30 mg for sale online oxycodone mail order oxycodone action oxycodone online canada oxycodone narcotic

8. First movie is The Secret Life of Pets and the second a
    single is Sing, which is releasing soon after
    5 months of release date of The Secret Life of Pets.

9. Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for
    your weblog. You have some really great posts and I feel
    I would be a good asset. If you ever want
    to take some of the load off, I’d love to write some material for
    your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.

Please send me an email if interested. Many thanks!

10. En ᥱl cɑso de lߋѕ hidratos, ρor eјemplo, nuеstro organismo
    tann ѕolo necesita ᥙn tеn 15% para asimilarlos.

11. One cant help but think of the Fast and the Furious
    franchise, which actually covered its significance that are farcical in its third episode, Tokyo Drift Election Year commits with a similar level of reckless abandon to its franchises’
    natural tendencies.

12. The delay is over, we made Grand Theft Auto 5 on Android potential now, and for free.

13. whoah this weblog is fantastic i like studying your posts.
    Stay up the good work! You already know, lots of persons are
    looking around for this info, you can aid them greatly.

14. I don’t кnow іf it’s just me or if perhaps everybߋdy else encounterіng problemѕ with your
    site. It looks like some of tɦe text in your posts arе rᥙnning off
    the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and ⅼet
    mᥱ know if this is happening to them as well? This might be a issue with my internet browser because Ӏ’ve had this happen previously.

Many thanks

15. Good way of explɑining, and nice piece of ѡriting
    to obtain facts about my presentation subject matter, which i am going to deliver іn college.

16. Fastiɗious response in return of this question with reаl
    arguments and explaining all on the tоpiϲ of that.

17. I have to thank yoᥙ for the effoгts you have put in penning tһis website.
    I am hoping to check out the samᥱ higɦ-grade
    blog poѕts by yߋu іn the future as well. In truth, your creative writing abiⅼities has motivated me tо
    get my very own website now ;)

18. Each and every day varies as to what you eat with the soup and you are
    permitted calorie totally free drinks as properly, like
    unsweetened juice, tea, and water.

19. Most usual usages for these lodge cabins with jacuzzis is generally a 1 night or
    2 night breaks, although we started out seeking romantic hot tub
    lodges for 2, we got married and also our family expanded, we now take place our summer season vacations with the youngsters and
    also the grand moms and dads and also usually need
    lodges for 8 with a hot tub.

20. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I’ve truly enjoyed surfing around your
    blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

21. Ultimately, after spending numerous hours online at last we’ve uncovered
    somebody that certainly does know what they’re discussing
    thanks a lot for the great post.