The Queensland Working Holiday Survival Guide

Dreaming of sleeping under the Outback stars or getting plenty of time to swim in the Australian surf? Then why not consider travelling Down Under on a Working Holiday Visa, earn some dollars whilst you travel and get to experience more of the Aussie dream.
We couldn’t think of anywhere better to escape to than Queensland, from the Gold Cost to the Great Barrier Reef, sun soaked Queensland has got it going on from backpackers and working holiday hunters, so why not take advantage of the opportunity to take a working holiday, after all, you have your entire life to work a typical 9-5…
These tips will help you avoid the pitfalls and get more of the good stuff from beautiful Australia.

The Essentials

1.Valid Passport
2.Working Holiday Visa
3.Plane tickets
4.Travel Insurance
6.Working Holiday Starter Pack

Which Visa should I take?

The Working Holiday Visa allows individuals of certain countries to live and work in Australia for up to 12 months. You must be over 18 and under 31 years old. Once you receive your visa you have a year to enter Australia. You can work with the same employer for a maximum of 6 months. 6 months work, 6 months travel! Nice. If you do not wish to earn while in Australia then the Tourist visa is the one for you (giving you 3 months travel)!

Visa Requirements

    • You must not have previously entered Australia on a Working Holiday Visa before.
    • You must be over 18 and under 31 years old.
    • You must have a valid passport with at least 6 months until renewal.
    • You must have sufficient funds for a return ticket and to support yourself when you arrive in Australia.
    • Have a passport valid at the time of application, issued by one of the following countries: United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Republic of Korea, Sweden, Taiwan

What are sufficient funds?

If you have a return ticket, you need about £3,000 spending money. If you have a one way ticket, you will require £3,000 plus additional funds to cover a return ticket (another 500 quid maybe). You may be asked to provide evidence of this in the form of a recent bank statement at the airport. But don’t worry about it too much, it’s only if they do a random spot check!

What kind of job can I get?

Fruit picking is an easy-to-find option for working holiday makers Queensland offers the greatest variety of fruit and plants to pick including avocados, cotton, custard apples, mangoes and melons.

If you are a good driver, there is always a crop needing to be planted or harvested somewhere in the Outback. Farm work can be fun, it will be physically challenging – but you will be sure to make some lifelong friends who can spend the next 15 years reminiscing about your days on the ranch.

Hostels are always on the lookout for cleaners or housekeepers in return for your accommodation, be sure to check out the local papers and job boards. (STA Travel tip; if you are a qualified chef – head to the restaurant scene in Cairns, where demand is always high!)

Office jobs in Brisbane are a great opportunity to improve your CV and skill set across any industry; finance, marketing and hospitality. Overseas work experience sets you apart from other candidates when you’re interviewing for jobs. It can also be a good start if you ever want to apply for permanent residency.

There are also those once in a life time opportunities; on board a boat and sailing the beautiful Whitsundays and Great Barrier Reef! The Queensland job market is pretty much your oyster, just be sure to have a CV or resume typed out and printed before you leave so that you can easily start handing them out!

Check out our blog on what kind of job you can get in Australia for more info. Or for some inspiration read about Ben’s Queensland working holiday adventure.

What do I need for my job?

We can help with all of the below so don’t you worry, it’s easier than it reads.

Tax File Number: You will need a Tax File Number within 28 days of starting work otherwise you will be emergency taxed at 48{8105bc8a7da0e4ee2985a05e217cd0e1bef95b551bf8bafd62a449e444182173}. That’s a hell of a lot. We’ve got Tax Packs which can sort you out with the correct tax code before you get over there.

Bank Account: We can also set you up with a bank account before you get over there, which means you can start getting paid straight away! Banks ask for a permanent address in order to set up an account and most won’t accept hostel addresses. Our Back Account Pack works around this giving you time to find your feet and still get paid.

Superannuation: Employers in Australia have to pay a compulsory 9{8105bc8a7da0e4ee2985a05e217cd0e1bef95b551bf8bafd62a449e444182173} superannuation contribution. This means an additional 9{8105bc8a7da0e4ee2985a05e217cd0e1bef95b551bf8bafd62a449e444182173} of your pay before tax must be paid into a superannuation fund. But GOOD NEWS, as a non-resident, you can claim this money back when you leave Australia!

Travel Insurance: You will need to prove to your employer that you have the correct insurance. Our policies cover working holidays and is extremely comprehensive (well, we would say that). No but seriously check them out.

We hope that’s made things a little simpler. It’s not so hard. Book the ticket and get the ball rolling. No worries mate!