If you like a city that stands out, stays up and sleeps in, you’ve come to the right place. Mix it with locals and visitors from across the world in back alleys and beer gardens, rooftop bars and hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Take a detour through winding laneways, discover the city’s creative heart, and then resurface to brunch it with the best of them at breezy cafes from St Kilda to Brunswick. Melbourne is the perfect base for your grand Aussie adventure.
We’ve picked our top sporting events and general reason why Melbourne is so great… *packs bags and moves out*
Melbourne is officially known as the sporting capital of the world! With over 5 stadiums in the city itself and a sporting event around every corner – you’ll be a diehard Melbourne City fan before you know it.
- MCG Stadium – The home of cricket and Australian Football LeagueThe Boxing Day Test is the ultimate cricketing event, soak up the electric atmosphere in this 100,000 seated venue. If cricket’s not your thing, check out an epic AFL game and try to follow this sport’s crazy rules!
- Melbourne Park – The home of tennisAustralian Open is held throughout the month of January, get a $20 ground pass ticket, catch a match in one of the outdoor courts, a bite to eat at the many food stalls and soak up the festival atmosphere. If you want to splash out, get tickets to the Rod Laver court for about $130 and you may get a chance to see some big names!
- Aami Park – The home of soccer and rugbyThis unique stadium designed almost like a football, is pretty iconic in Melbourne and ensures the crowd don’t have an obstructed view. You can catch ‘Melbourne Storm’ rugby league stars or the ‘Melbourne Rebels’ rugby union team, along with Melbourne Victory and Melbourne Heart in the A-League soccer (better known as football) teams – who needs the Premier League?
- Flemington Race course – The home of horse racing‘The race that stops the nation’ – The Melbourne Cup. This is one of the biggest days in Australia’s sporting calendar and most prestigious horse race. There’s a real carnival atmosphere with food trucks and bars from around the city coming down! It’s also a day off if you’re in Victoria, quite literally stops the nation.
The City Quirks
Melbourne is full of quirks, hidden surprises, there always seems to be something going on! We would be here all day if we listed every single one. But just to give you a flavour of what goes on, check it out:
- Piknic Electronik: is on every Sunday. An outdoor electronic music event held at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl, an awesome venue and tickets are around $30!
- Noodle Night Markets: are on throughout November where you can grab the tastiest Asian food along the river Yarra.
- St Kilda Festival: on the second Sunday throughout February is a FREE celebration of summer held on the beach.
- White Night Melbourne: in February is a one night only, all-night celebration of culture and creativity, the 12-hour event includes exhibitions, street performances, illuminations, installations, film screenings, music, dance and interactive events throughout the CBD!
- The Laneways: are full of street art that changes regularly, you never know what you might find!
- Penguins: see if you can spot the penguins hiding in St Kilda down at the breakwater – too cute!
Bags packed and tickets booked to Melbourne, how could you not like it? Sounds like a pretty awesome place to live.