To celebrate our latest offer, giving you up to £740 off Arctic & Antarctica expeditions, (How n-ice of us!) we thought we’d tell you exactly why polar bears are cool all year round.
1.Polar bears may look white, but their fur is made of clear, hollow tubes filled with air
2. They keep themselves clean by rolling in the snow
3. They have no natural enemies (surely the seals must secretly hate them?!)
4. When they aren’t hunting, they rest for up to 20 hours a day
5. They have built-in socks. Kind of. The stiff fur on the soles of their feet keep them from slipping on ice
6. Beneath their white coats, their skin is black. Don’t ever Google ‘shaved polar bear’, you’ll never look at them in the same way again
7. Adult polar bears can measure over 2.5m long and weigh around 680kg, making them the largest living carnivores on Earth!
8. When born, a cub weighs about the size of a guinea pig
9. Polar bears are camouflaged to most animals, the expectation being reindeer which see in ultraviolet light
10. Cubs stay with their mothers for about two years, before heading out on their own into the big world
11. They do NOT fear humans! You have been warned.