1. Sausage Sizzles. If an Australian invites you to one of these, politely accept. It means you’re going to eat sausages (snags), possibly for charity.
2. Thongs. If you’re going to work in thongs, you (probably) don’t work in a strip club, you’re merely wearing flip flops to work.
3. No one actually drinks Fosters. Gutted.
4. Everyone is obsessed with the radio station, Triple J. And when the annual Hottest 100 is released on Australia Day, most Australians wet themselves with excitement.
5. Golden Gaytime, anyone? We’re actually just offering you a much-loved Australian ice-cream.
6. Australia has snow, and ski resorts. Mind. Blown.
7. Burger King is called Hungry Jacks in Australia.
8. The beer sizes are beyond confusing and can vary between states. Schooners, ponies, pots, handles, pints (that aren’t pint-sized)… it’s fairly messed up.
9. Although every Australian we’ve ever met has been blind drunk, it’s actually illegal to be drunk in a pub in Australia.
10. To work in a bar in some parts of Australia, you may have to pass a RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) test on how to spot drunk people. Tip: they look just like you.
11. Gambling though is fine, with most pubs having an area designated to slot machines, or “pokies”.
12. Sliced beetroot in burgers, really?
13. Swearing. It can take a while for visitors to get used to being greeted with, “oi ****!”. But it’s actually a nice thing, and usually just means “Hey friend!”.
15. The place names are often a source of confusion, and humour. Humpty Doo, Come by Chance, Titty Bong, and Eggs & Bacon Bay.
16. Fairy Bread. White bread, butter, sprinkles… even acceptable for fully-formed adults to eat.
17. Want to grab a nice bottle of wine to go with your lonely dinner-for-one? Well you can’t, saddo. Supermarkets don’t sell booze, so you’ll have to go to the “Bottle-O” instead.
18. … and these are sometimes drive-thru. Roll with it.
19. Lollies. Particularly confusing to Brits, lollies are sweets or candy and DO NOT come on a stick.
20. EFTPOS. This is how Australians pay for things.
21. AFL. In our opinion, seven too many players for a footy pitch. Those tiny shorts though, we’re down with.
22. Australians getting really dressed up, and then absolutely smashed. Usually on race day.
23. Eurovision. Don’t be freaked out, but Australia is in Eurovision. They love it more than we do for some reason, so we allow it.
24. Frog, toad and cockroach racing in pubs. So wrong.
Now that we’ve prepped you, you’re ready for your Aussie adventure! If you’re looking to read up a little more on Australia, head over to our travel guide for deals, tips and inspiration. Want to hop straight on that flight? Head to our flights page you eager beaver!